Comparing Hosting Benefits between Typesense Cloud and AWS
TLDR Satish inquired about comparing hosting benefits between Typesense Cloud and AWS. Jason explained the differences and cost considerations, assuring the easy migration process between the platforms.
Dec 09, 2022 (9 months ago)
We don't have much traffic yet ( less than 1000 req per day) but we would like to have the solution resilient to handle more requests (around 50,000 per day) within 6 months.
Also would like to understand the migration process if we decide to migrate from Typesense cloud to EC2 or vice-versa.
• We run the same binaries we publish open source in Typesense Cloud as well, so the core APIs and features are the same.
• But Typesense open source is an API-only product. In Typesense Cloud we provide a UI to explore the data, setup synonyms, aliases, overrides by pointing and clicking.
• In Typesense Cloud we take care of infrastructure, so as you scale, we can automatically scale your clusters for you (when you turn this setting on).
• In Typesense Cloud, we also offer a Search Delivery Network feature that works like a CDN, but we actually replicate the full dataset to multiple regions you choose, so your users around the world get a consistently fast search experience.
• Since we run the same binaries, you can migrate between self-hosted and Typesense Cloud by just exporting and importing data.
• In terms of cost, you’ll have to compare the pricing we publish on Typesense Cloud, with what it would cost on your hosting provider, plus add the engineering time required to self-host and manage infrastructure. In general, we find that once you add engineering time, Typesense Cloud becomes cheaper, because we’re able to amortize engineering time on our side across all customers, bringing down costs for all users.
Indexed 2764 threads (79% resolved)
Advantages of Typesense Cloud over Traditional Cloud Hosting
Michal asked about the benefits of using Typesense Cloud compared to other platforms like Google Cloud or AWS. Jason explained the advantages, including UI, automatic scaling, Search Delivery Network, Role Based Access control, migration ease, and cost efficiency.
Comparing Typesense Cloud vs Self-hosted Options
Ailish asked for a comparison between Typesense Cloud and self-hosting. Kishore Nallan explained that self-hosting could be more complex for new teams but viable for experienced ones, and starting on cloud then migrating is an acceptable strategy.
Discussing Transition to TypeSense Cloud
Stephano indicated the transition to TypeSense Cloud from self-hosted solution. Jason offered to assist in configuring for the new setup.